This was a fun card to make! It’s a little different than cards I usually make but I just wanted to send best wishes to my sister and her husband as they depart to the Bahamas for a romantic getaway! I’m so jealous! I’ve never been, and their trip there will also be fun as they are going on a cruise! So I made this card with a ship headed to an island with a palm tree (mimicking their voyage to an island in the Bahamas!) 🙂
I used the Potpourri Basket cartridge for most of the cuts. This cartridge contains a nice mix of shapes from multiple cartridges. The ship, waves, and anchor are originally from the Going Places cartridge. The palm tree is originally from Doodlecharms. Then I used Wild Card to cut an oval shape for the island and the phrase “enjoy”. Since some of these images require you to run a shape more than once through the Cricut to get different colors, I use Design Studio to hide the images I don’t want to cut to save paper; for example, the green palm leaves are combined with coconuts in one image, so you would have to cut the shape once in green and once in brown. I also like to use Design Studio to lay out all of my images for one color of paper on one mat to save on loading and cutting time.
- Card base – white cardstock cut at 10×7 inches with a paper trimmer, then folded in half to get a 5×7 card (used a corner rounder punch on the bottom edges)
- Ship with wave – cut at 2 & 3/4 inch in white cardstock, again in red cardstock to add some color with the stripe, then cut the shadow in black cardstock, then cut out two extra waves in bright blue
- Palm tree – cut at 2 & 1/2 inches in brown cardstock for the tree base and coconuts, then cut out the palm leaves in bright green cardstock
- Oval – cut at 4 inches in tan patterned cardstock
- “Enjoy” phrase – cut at 6 inches in red cardstock
- Anchor – cut at 1 & 1/2 inches in black cardstock
I used Stardust Stickles on the white wave and on the portholes of the ship. I also had some Dear Lizzy ribbon from American Crafts that had a fun banner printed on it. I took scissors to trim away the white parts leaving a true banner of flags to add some color to the ship. Two tiny brads decorate the ends of the banner. I also used a white gel pen just to add some more detail to some of the images. At the very right hand corner of the card face is a stamped phrase and date using K&Co.’s Smash Date Stamp. The phrase is hard to read in the picture because it’s so tiny – it reads “Happy Place” with the date Oct 13 2012, which is when my sister and brother-in-law will be enjoying their cruise through the beautiful turquoise waters of the Bahamas!
The inside is minimal because I wanted to leave enough room to add a personal message. The “Best Wishes” sentiment is a rub-on and it’s accompanied by the anchor.
I hope they enjoy this card as my personal send-off for their trip! I also hope they have the best time of their lives – full of fun, adventure, and romance!