When my husband saw my creation this morning he said, “Well that’s certainly different!” I’m not sure if he liked it or not, but I love how it turned out. The embossing adds a nice twist because it shows that the stamped images beneath don’t have the embossing and that there’s more to the design than one might think at first glance. I’m not sure if someone has thought of this before (though I’m sure it’s out there :)), but I’m proud that I thought of this on my own while trying to fall asleep last night. It took some time completing it but I think the effort shows in the different steps needed to finish it.
If you’re interested in reading on (I get a bit wordy), here are the details…
I used my Cricut Design Studio software and created an A2 sized mat (4.25 x 5.5) with different shapes place inside the square so that these would cut out leaving a stenciled mat. I then cut a solid A2 mat using white cardstock and taped the stenciled mat to the solid one.
I wanted to use some new inks I got for Christmas but all of my sponge daubers were used up so I had to resort to a cleaning sponge (I sacrificed a new one from the kitchen cabinet). I used scissors to cut off chunks of it to make my own daubers. I found the sponge too dry to apply the ink well so I dampened each little ‘dauber’ with a little water and that did the trick. It softened up the sponge and allowed the ink to cover the paper better. Using a textured sponge gave the ink a distressed look which I like.
After the inking was done, I cut another stenciled mat out in white cardstock and ran it through my Sizzix Texture Boutique with a Swiss Dots Cuttlebug folder. I then put foam dimensionals all over the back of it to raise it up from the inked layer for a 3-D look. I then added turquoise rhinestones to the flower centers.
Next, I created a frame with a 1/2 inch margin around each side using two square shapes from Walk In My Garden. I stretched the outer square to measure the A2 size. I then added an inner square and stretched it to measure 3.75 x 5 inches. I ran this cut twice to make the frame more durable in apricot cardstock.
I embossed one of the frames using the Swiss Dots folder. I then adhered the two frames together using adhesive tape and added foam dimensionals to the frame’s back to raise it up from the remaining design. Since there are so many foam dimensionals on it adding a nice weight, I am tempted to scrap the card idea and just display this as a little piece of artwork for my office🙂. I am entering this into the “Hot Summer Colors” challenge at My Craft Spot.
Storybook ~ Butterflies
Straight From the Nest ~ Paisley Flowers, Flourish
Walk In My Garden ~ Square Shape (to make frame)
Ink It Up! ~ Orange, Tart Lime, Turquoise
Colorbok Spring Pastel ($5 at Wal-mart) ~White and Apricot
K&Company Brenda Walton Neapolitan Adhesive Rhinestones (Turquoise)
Thanks for looking!